BTEC Entry 3 Award or
Level 1 Award/Certificate
Hospitality is offered within school to develop vocational skills and engage the pupils in an opportunity to develop a range of, techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
We cover a range of units:-
• Introduction to the Hospitality Industry; This unit gives pupils a general introduction to the hospitality industry including; food preparation and cooking, food and drinks service, accommodation services and guest services.
• Customer Services in the Hospitality Industry; Pupils will learn the importance of good customer services and methods of communicating positively in routine situations. They will be required to present themselves appropriately in order to serve customers.
• Serving Food and Drink; This introduces the pupils to food and drink service it involves working with others to serve food and drink, assisting in the preparation/assembly of food and drink and assisting in the safe hygienic preparation, maintenance and the cleaning of service areas. This is done through the pupils organising an OAP afternoon.
• Basic Food Preparation; Within this unit pupils learn basic food preparation, it encourages learners to work safely and hygienically, developing skills needed for the preparation of basic food items. Using equipment safely and hygienically, and storing prepared foods safely according to instructions.
• Basic cooking; Pupils will develop skills needed for cooking basic food items using different cooking methods.
• Housekeeping and Guest Service; This unit is about the daily activities as part of the guest service role within the hospitality industry. Pupils learn about cleaning requirements for bedrooms, bathrooms and communal areas including the safe and correct handling of cleaning material and equipment used in service accommodation facilities:-
o Hall of residence
o Residential/care homes
Pupils are given the opportunity to visit a Hotel and help to prepare a room ready for a guest.
What we do:
> We practise how to serve foods and drinks in our pretend classroom restaurant.
> We learn how to serve drinks and cakes to members of staff
> We practise how to take food and drink orders in our pretend classroom restaurant.
> We demonstrate good customer service.